BioHealth Innovation, Inc. (BHI), a public-private partnership and innovation intermediary is seeking an energetic and motivated life science professional for the role of an Entrepreneur-In-Residence (EIR) preferably with product development experience related to cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematological innovations. The EIR will reside within the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and will also support intramural and extramural initiatives on an as needed basis.
The EIR program was established at BioHealth Innovation to:
- Retain and bring entrepreneurial talent to the Maryland ecosystem
- Connect resources including institutions, technology assets, people and capital within Maryland that include federal institutions, labs, academic institutions, small businesses, disease foundations and the investor community
- Build/support sustainable life science startups that will add value within the healthcare system and also build upon the existing infrastructure
The EIR will work with BHI leadership to ensure that the activities and outcomes are aligned with BHIs strategic focus.
EIR PROGRAM EXPECTATION
- Identify commercially relevant life science technologies with a focus on cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematological innovations. These technologies include small molecules, biologics and biotechnology products, and diagnostic and therapeutic devices.
- Source/Identify early stage companies that require commercial and business development support.
- Advise and support early stage companies by serving as an advisor or a part of the team to support the development of technologies and value creation.
- Develop effective scientific collaborations between federal laboratories and agencies, universities, and the private sector
- Support NIH initiatives (intramural and extramural) that are focused on supporting the commercialization of technologies
- Participate in BHI strategic planning and development of entrepreneurial and educational programs
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, ANALYSIS & EVALUATION
- Serve as a scientific resource to the BHI-community on strategic technology development related to key programs
- Represent the BHI vision of technology development to the research, small business, and technology development communities through individual interactions, workshops, special focus meetings, and presentations at national and international meetings
- Serve as a resource for scientists and life science companies
- Evaluate and analyze the effectiveness of short and long-term development and business strategies
- Perform scientific and commercial analysis and coordination, including conducting comprehensive technical reviews of scientific studies, research, and analysis in the areas of advanced technology platform development for detection, diagnosis and treatment for a broad spectrum of therapeutic areas
- Develop briefing documents, technical reports and detailed presentations for key stakeholders
OUTREACH & PARTNERSHIPS
- Support building a community of motivated entrepreneurs and founders within the Maryland ecosystem including the federal laboratories.
- Partner with economic development organizations and business associations to educate the small business life science community about potential areas of collaboration
- Maintain contact with small business organizations, government agencies, scientists, and managers to exchange ideas
- Interest in working in a fast-paced environment
- Sufficient scientific and product development skill set to analyze a breadth of innovations, with a particular focus on product development in cardiology, pulmonology, or hematology
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication skills
- Ability to effectively liaise with internal and external key stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively and creatively
- Maintain flexibility in a changing environment and communicate effectively across the organization
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to lead a meeting and broker discussions
- BA or BS in a scientific, health sciences or information technology field
- Advanced degree in sciences or business (Ph.D., M.B.A., M.S.) a plus
- Existing relationship with the investor community that includes angels, venture and strategic investors
- Prior experience in life science product development and product strategy
- Familiarity with the venture capital industry preferred
- Personnel management experience preferred
TERMS & COMPENSATION
Compensation for this position is competitive and negotiable. BHI is an equal opportunity employer.