BioHealth Innovation (BHI) is an innovation intermediary that facilitates the commercialization of emerging technologies in the BioHealth Capital Region (Maryland, DC and Virginia). We are seeking an entry-level Life Sciences Business Strategist to join our team remotely.
The right candidate will be an energetic and continuous learner who is passionate about accelerating the adoption of new technologies to improve lives. The position is geared toward an early-career scientist (generally in their first 3-5 years after receiving their PhD) who wants to engage with the biohealth industry in new ways.
Our Strategists not only support selected growth-stage businesses through development of commercialization plans and federal grant proposals, but they also cultivate important relationships with client entrepreneurs and innovators. The Strategists’ work further includes collaborating with expert Entrepreneurs-In-Residence from around the country and other professionals in BHI’s network who have built careers at the intersection of business and science.
This position places heavy emphasis on writing and editing of small business grants to craft logical narratives related to technical development and company growth. Applicants should possess strong writing skills.
Grant Development and Technical Analysis
• Writing and editing of small business grants to craft logical narratives related to technical development and company growth.
• Perform scientific literature and competitive analysis to identify commercial applications and determine commercial potential across a broad area of scientific fields, including digital health, medical devices, therapeutics, and diagnostics.
• Develop detailed deliverables on commercial analyses and go-to-market strategies.
• Manage and communicate timelines for a variety of client projects related to commercial analyses.
• Coordinate all aspects of the federal grant proposal preparation process, including research plan development, budget preparation, editing and submission.
• Track and maintain portfolio metrics related to key BHI operational goals.
Regional Cluster Development
• Provide strategic guidance to assist early-stage companies or entrepreneurs seeking BHI assistance in understanding the non-dilutive funding landscape, as well as other programs available in the region.
• Identify opportunities for BHI or BHI clients to collaborate and connect with federal laboratories and agencies, universities, and the private sector achieve our mission of growing the BioHealth Capital Region cluster.
• Ph.D in biological sciences. Ideal candidates will have a background that pertains to human health. Examples of relevant research experience include cell biology, genetics, oncology, neuroscience, or pharmacology.
• Strong writing and data analysis skills are essential.
• Experience developing Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) or Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grant proposals.
• Experience evaluating product strategy models and commercialization pathways for early stage and/or emerging technologies.
• Experienced in creating detailed and logical presentations in various formats (PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
• Excellent presentation skills and ability to lead a meeting.
• Strong communication skills. Ability to effectively liaise with internal and external key stakeholders, manage existing client relationships, and generate new clients through existing networks.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines.
Terms and Compensation
The compensation range for this position is $75,000-$85,000 annually, plus benefits.
BHI is an equal opportunity employer. Candidate MUST be a US citizen or a permanent resident.